- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease three 7 inch cake pans. Place a small piece of parchment paper in the bottom of each cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sifted flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and natural cane sugar. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add milk, lemon juice, orange juice, apple sauce, canola oil, brown sugar, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir to combine. Do not overmix; stir until the flour mixture is incorporated.
- Next, gently fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts.
- Divide the batter evenly between the three cake pans—smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 30 min., or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a cooling rack until completely cooled before adding the frosting.
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3/4 cup earth balance
- 6 oz. of Violife vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 4-5 cups of powdered sugar
In a large mixing bowl, cream the earth balance and Violife cream cheese with a hand mixer. Next, mix in the vanilla, lemon extract, and salt. Start adding the powdered sugar a little at a time until it reaches the right spreadable consistency.
Assembling the Carrot Cake
- Remove the cakes from the cake pans.
- Add frosting to the top of each cake layer.
- Gently place the layers on top of each other.
- Smooth out the top layer.
- For a fun look, stick 3 small (cut off) carrot tops in the cake.
- Decorate with some carrot greenery around the carrot tops to give the elusion that they are growing right there in the cake.