- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a bowl, sift together the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the coconut oil with a pastry cutter or with two knives until the mixture resembles sand.
- Pour in the coconut milk, lemon extract, and vanilla, mix until just combined. The dough will be wet.
- Place about half of the dough on a lightly floured work surface and form into a round disk about 3/4 in. thick.
- Gently add the strawberry jam to the middle of the disk, spreading to about an inch from the edges.
- Next, add the remaining dough to the top of the disk, trying to make it look like one large uniform disk.
- Cut the disk into eight pieces just like a pie or pizza.
- Transfer each scone onto a lined baking sheet tray, brush with coconut milk, and sprinkle with a tiny bit of Demerara sugar.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until slightly golden on the edges. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- a few drops of fresh lemon juice
Though I do not do this every time, a lemon glaze is a great way to dress up these strawberry jam scones for guests. A lemon glaze is super easy to make, just add fresh lemon juice to powdered sugar and stir to combine. Keep adjusting until you have the right consistency. It is better to err on the side of too thick than too thin, as it just flows off the scone. It requires very little lemon juice, but I prefer the fresh lemon juice flavor rather than concentrate.