Step 1: Make the Crust:
- Preheat Oven to 350F.
- In a food processor, combine flour, almond flour, salt, and sugar. Pulse to combine.
- Add the coconut oil, vegan margarine, and vanilla extract. Pulse until mixture resembles sand.
- Next, add a tablespoon of ice water at a time until the dough resembles crumbs and sticks together when squeezed.
- Roll out the dough into the shape of your tart pan and transfer to the tart pan. It is helpful to use two pieces of plastic wrap while rolling out the dough. You can skip this step and press the dough with a spoon or your fingers to fill the tin with the dough.
- Place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of your tart and add a few pie weights or dried beans to keep the crust from puffing.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
- Remove pie weights and let the tart cool on a cooling rack until completely cool.
Step 2: Make the Filling:
- In a large bowl, cream the margarine and fine sugar with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add applesauce, vanilla, and almond extract and mix.
- Next, add the almond flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Gently fold in the dry mixture to the wet, being carful not to overmix.
- Transfer to the cooled tart crust.
Step 3: Apple Topping and Baking:
- Slice the apples thinly and layer on top of the filling
- Brush the apples with maple syrup.
- Bake the Vegan Apple Tart at 350F for 50-60 minutes.