How to make the roast: Preheat oven to 350F.
- Start by combining all the dry ingredients, vital wheat gluten, all-purpose flour, mushroom powder, nutritional yeast, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and dried herbs (sage, thyme, marjoram, and rosemary) in a large bowl.
- In a blender, blend the wet ingredients, water, tofu, olive oil, and Braggs Liquid Aminos.
- Add the content of the blender to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. The dough should be wet but workable. If necessary, adjust the dough by adding vital wheat gluten a tablespoon at a time until you have a workable dough. It should be sticky. Knead the dough in the bowl for a 3-5 minutes.
- Wrap the dough in foil. Be sure to grease the foil with a little oil before adding the dough as the foil can easily stick to the roast. Bake at 350F for one hour.
- Remove the roast from the oven, and let it sit for a few minutes until you can handle the foil without burning yourself. Remove the foil from the roast and place in the stockpot with the prepared broth (see below).
- Cover and simmer on low heat for one hour.
- Remove from heat. Let the roast sit in the broth until cooled completely. Chill in the fridge overnight.
- Before serving, reheat the roast by removing it from the fridge and adding it to a baking pan. Brush with the glaze (see below), cover with foil, and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
How to Make the Broth: While the roast is in the oven, prepare the broth.
- Fill a large pot that will accommodate the roast with water and bring it to a simmer.
- Prepare the vegetables, such as onion, garlic, celery ribs, carrots, mushrooms, and add to the pot. Season by adding salt, Braggs Liquid Aminos, Better-Than-Bouillon (vegetable base), and fresh herbs.
- Let simmer on the stove for one hour.
How to Make the Glaze:
- 1 tablespoon Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Stir to combine and brush on the vegan roast prior to reheating.