Apple Almond Cake
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons all natural cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup all natural cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 2 apples, McIntosh, peeled and chopped
- In a small bowl, add sliced almonds, sugar, almond flour, cinnamon, and cardamom. Stir to combine. Add the melted coconut oil and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a medium-size bowl, cream coconut oil and sugar with a hand mixer until smooth in texture.
- Next, add mix in the vanilla and almond extract. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift the dry ingredients: flour, almond flour, salt, baking powder, and stir to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture a little at a time; alternating by adding the milk a little at a time.
- Next, fold in the fresh chopped apples.
- Transfer the cake mixture to a greased 8in cake pan (see note), and smooth the top.
- Add the sliced almond topping.
- Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out with just a couple of crumbs on it.
- Place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the greased cake pan. It makes it easier to remove the cake from the pan after baking.
- You may want to place a piece of foil loosely over the top of the cake during the last 10 minutes of baking time to prevent the almonds from getting too toasted, but this is a personal preference.