- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a bowl mix the following ingredients: flour, whole wheat flour, almond flour, salt, and sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Using a pastry cutter (or a fork), cut in the coconut oil, vegan margarine, and vanilla extract. The mixture should resemble crumbs. Make sure not to over-mix. Try to squeeze a handful to see if it holds together; if it seems too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons ice water.
- Remove 1/3 of the crumb mixture, and place in a cake pan (8-inch square) lined with parchment paper. Press down with your hands to make a strong foundation. Make sure to get the mixture into the corners.
- Set aside.
- Next, prepare the filling by mixing the cubed peaches, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, ginger and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. Add to the cake pan tin and spread evenly across the bottom layer.
- Finally, add the rest (2/3 crumb mixture), but instead of packing it, as with the bottom layer, sprinkle it on top as you would a crumb topping.
- Bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes. The topping should have a golden brown color.
- Let cool on a wire rack. It is easier to cut when cooled completely.
- I usually cut these into 9 bars. If desired, garnish with a glaze.
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- couple drops of water or fresh lemon juice
Mix. Add drops of liquid until you get the right consistency. It does not take much.