Today we are making delicious healthy corn tortillas. They also happen to be gluten-free, which is great for those of you who are gluten sensitive. Many of you have written to me asking for a corn tortilla recipe, and I am so excited to be sharing this very special recipe with you.
I love Corn Tortillas! They are even more delicious when you make them yourself. They are light in flavor and have a unique texture, which pairs well with many toppings. Tacos, fajitas, and enchiladas are just a few of the many amazing recipes you can make with fresh corn tortillas.
My family loves Mexican food. We have Mexican food a couple of times a week, and I will often contribute with corn tortillas; after all, they are my favorite.
We also love to make our own flour tortillas. Click here to check out my Flour Tortilla recipe.
How to make Corn Tortillas from Scratch:
Making corn tortillas is not as hard as you think, and they are so delicious. Once you have made fresh corn tortillas, you may never go back to store-bought.
You only need a handful of ingredients: Masa Flour, salt, a little oil (optional), and some warm water. Mix everything together and knead until you get a playdough-like consistency. It does not take long.
Let the dough rest for a few minutes before dividing the dough into small pieces.
It is useful to have a tortilla press when making tortillas. It makes it much easier to get the right thickness. You can use a rolling pin, but it is trickier to get the dough as thin as it should be. I have found that the easiest method for pressing your tortillas in the tortilla press is to use a plastic bag. Just cut the sides off so that you have one long piece and then press the dough in between the folded bag. Click here to watch me demonstrate this on YouTube.
The Press and Puff Method when cooking Corn Tortillas:
I learned this method from a Mexican lady who demonstrated this technique, and I have used this technique ever since. You first cook the tortilla on high heat for about a minute before flipping it. Then cook for another minute on the other side. Flip the corn tortilla again and with a spatula press the tortilla quickly and watch it puff up. This creates an air pocket, which means that your tortilla is ready. It is a really fun process.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Click Here to watch me make this recipe on YouTube.Print
- Yield: 16 Tortillas 1x
- 2 cups Masa Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups warm water
- Add flour, salt and oil to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Next, add the warm water to the dough and knead for a couple minutes. The dough should feel like play-dough.
- Set aside, cover with a damp towel, and let rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat a griddle.
- Divide the dough into 16 pieces and form into small rounds.
- Place in a tortilla press (see note below)
- Press until the right thickness.
- Place on the griddle.
- Let the tortilla cook for about 1 minutes, then flip and let it cook for another minute on the other side.
- Next, flip one more time, and press the tortilla with the spatula.
- The tortilla should puff up, which means it is ready. Cook the tortilla for a few more seconds.
- To keep the tortillas soft, place in a damp towel.
I find it useful to put a plastic bag between my tortilla press and the dough on both sides. It makes it much easier to peel. See my video for a demonstration.