Looking for an extra special meal to serve your family and friends? I have the recipe for you. These Lasagna roll-ups make a fantastic meal featuring creamy vegan pesto ricotta cheese, lasagna noodles, and tomato sauce, true comfort ingredients for a winning combination. To make this Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups with Pesto Ricotta recipe easier and quicker to make, we combined the pesto and ricotta ingredients for a stunning and delicious result.
After all, who does not love lasagna? These lasagna roll-ups with pesto are a beautiful twist to the traditional favorite.
Other recipes you might like?
- Lasagna Roll-Ups with Vegan Ricotta and Spinach
- Roasted Butternut Squash Stuffed Shell
- Crispy Sesame Tofu with Vegetables
- One Pot Cherry Tomato and Basil Pasta
- Mediterranean One Pot Pasta
- Gluten-Free One Pot Pasta
Why do I think you will like this Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups with Pesto Ricotta recipe?
- The flavor is amazing.
- By combining the pesto and ricotta recipes, we have made it easier to make.
- It can be made ahead of time and baked before serving.
- The naturally portioned pasta rolls make it an easy recipe to serve.
What is Vegan Lasagna Roll Ups with Pesto Ricotta?
Vegan simply means that it does not contain animal products.
Instead of layering the lasagna with sauce, noodles, and ricotta cheese, the lasagna noodles are spread with the ricotta mixture and rolled.
The Pesto Ricotta combines our vegan ricotta and pesto recipe for a wonderful filling.
Tomato Sauce covers the bottom of the pan as well as the top of the lasagna rolls. Some like their lasagna drenched in tomato sauce, and others like a hint of tomato sauce. Make it your own and adjust accordingly.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase something, I earn a small commission and it doesn’t cost you any more.
Ingredients or Shopping List:
- Lasagna noodles
- Tomato Sauce (see recipe)
- Pine Nuts
- Fresh Lemon juice
- Fresh Garlic
- Bragg Liquid Aminos
- Nutritional Yeast
- Sea Salt
- crushed red pepper
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Basil
Let’s Talk About Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups with Pesto Ricotta Ingredients!
Lasagna noodles are not always vegan, so check the ingredient list.
I have two wonderful, easy recipes for basic tomato sauce on my website. Check out the recipes below:
Cashews and Tofu:
Cashews and tofu make up the bulk of the ricotta cheese in this recipe. We have found that this mixture creates the right consistency and texture for the ricotta cheese. Besides, the combination is also excellent in flavor. Presoak the cashews for the right texture. Both of these ingredients provide extra protein; tofu has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, and cashews provide healthy fat.
Pine Nuts are a major ingredient in pesto, but they can be substituted for walnuts or cashews if pine nuts are unavailable.
Fresh Lemon Juice:
Lemon juice brightens the flavor, and gives you that extra boost of vitamin C.
Garlic is essential in this recipe as we want the pesto flavor to be prominent.
Bragg Liquid Aminos:
Bragg Liquid Aminos is a substitute for soy sauce. It is not fermented and is used to enhance the flavor.
Nutritional yeast gives the ricotta a cheesy flavor.
Gives flavor and some minerals.
Crushed Red Pepper:
Crushed red pepper enhances the flavor. It will not make it spicy but gives it a little extra touch.
Olive oil adds to the consistency and flavor of the ricotta cheese, further enhancing the recipe.
Fresh basil is the star ingredient in the pesto lasagna roll-ups because it gives the distinctive flavor of pesto. It also provides nutrients and antioxidants.
How to Make Vegan Lasagna Roll Ups:
Make the tomato sauce according to my recipe, or use your favorite tomato sauce. Set aside to cool.
Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package information. Rinse in cold water to stop the cooking, drain and set aside.
In a food processor, make the pesto ricotta cheese mixture.
Assemble the pesto lasagna roll-ups by adding a thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of a greased square baking pan. Next, spread about 2 -3 tablespoons of the pesto ricotta mixture on each lasagna noodle. Then, start at one end and roll until you reach the other end. Place the rolled-up lasagna noodle in the baking pan.
Cover each lasagna roll-up with tomato sauce. Sprinkle some homemade parmesan topping on top. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
- Substitute the pesto lasagna roll-ups with spinach lasagna roll-up (Click Here for the Recipe).
- Add some Violife mozzarella cheese to the top of the lasagna roll-ups before baking.
- Give the pesto lasagna roll-ups a little kick by adding additional crushed red pepper to the ricotta filling.
Make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free lasagna noodles. Replace Bragg Liquid Aminos with a gluten-free soy sauce alternative.
Make this recipe nut-free by replacing the cashews with tofu and omitting the pine nuts and vegan parmesan.
Substitute the oil with 1/2 cup of green, canned buttery olives. Add some of the liquid from the canned olives to give the ricotta the proper spreadable consistency.
Eliminate the tofu in the Ricotta filling. Use 2 cups of presoaked cashews instead. Also, eliminate Bragg Liquid Aminos in the Ricotta Filling. Adjust with a little salt as needed.
Add some minced fresh basil and vegan parmesan to the pesto lasagna roll-ups before serving.
How to Store this recipe:
- This Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups with Pesto Ricotta recipe can be made ahead of time, stored in the fridge and baked before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Special Equipment and Tools:
Baking Pan: I like to use a 9″x9″ baking pan for this recipe.
Tips and Tricks:
- It may be useful to add a teaspoon or two of oil to the water while cooking the lasagna noodles, this will help them not stick together.
- If you are not serving the Lasagna Roll-Ups immediately, ensure the ingredients are either cold or at room temperature before assembling the lasagna roll-ups. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and store in the fridge until ready to bake and serve.
- Soak the cashews for several hours before using them in this recipe.
- When short of time, use your favorite store-bought tomato sauce.
- Be aware that the tomato sauce may dry some during the cooking process. It may be a good idea to keep some extra tomato sauce on hand for those who like extra tomato sauce.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use a blender instead of a food processor?
Yes, you can use a blender, but the consistency of the ricotta will be different.
Can I omit the Pesto?
Yes, I have a recipe for Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups with spinach on my website.
Can I still make lasagna roll ups if I forget to presoak the cashews?
If you forget or do not have time for the presoak, place the cashews in boiling water. Let sit for 30 minutes and drain, or boil the cashews for 15 minutes, drain and rinse.Print
Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups with Pesto Ricotta
These Lasagna roll-ups make a fantastic meal featuring creamy vegan pesto ricotta cheese, lasagna noodles, and tomato sauce, true comfort ingredients for a winning combination. To make this Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups with Pesto Ricotta recipe easier and quicker to make, we combined the pesto and ricotta ingredients for a stunning and delicious result.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 3 cups tomato sauce (click here)
Pesto Ricotta Filling Recipe:
- 1 cup raw cashews, presoaked
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup (8 oz.) firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Make the tomato sauce according to my recipe, or use your favorite tomato sauce. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package information. Rinse in cold water to stop the cooking, drain and set aside.
- In a food processor, make the pesto ricotta cheese mixture by adding cashews, pine nuts, and tofu, and blend until smooth. Next, add the lemon juice, salt, Bragg Liquid Aminos, nutritional yeast, garlic, crushed red pepper, and fresh basil. Pulse to combine.
- While the food processor is running, slowly add the oil.
- Scrape down the side of the food processor and continue to pulse until you have ricotta-like consistency.
- Assemble the pesto lasagna rolls. Start by adding a thin layer of tomato sauce to the bottom of a greased square baking pan.
- Next, spread 2 -3 tablespoons of the pesto ricotta mixture on each lasagna noodle. Then, start at one end and roll until you reach the other end. Place the rolled-up lasagna noodle in the baking pan.
- Cover each lasagna roll-up with tomato sauce. If desired, sprinkle some homemade parmesan topping or vegan mozzarella cheese on top. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with minced basil.
(Read my affiliate discloser here.)