It’s grilling season! It’s the time of year that we get outdoors, swim, soak up the sun, garden, hike, and grill. I love this time of year. I wake up in the morning, ready to go, and all the chores get done a little faster so we can get outside as soon as possible. On beautiful days, even my cooking videos get shot outdoors. Today I am making fantastic grilled Garlic Mushroom Kebabs. It’s a great summer meal, quick and easy to make, but more importantly, delicious and good for you.
I usually start by making a flavorful and dimensional marinade. It contains ingredients like garlic, lemon, fresh parsley, and fresh thyme. You can use dried herbs if you prefer, but there is something special about fresh herbs. I always have an herb garden in the summer, and it is so satisfying to use herbs that you have grown yourself.
The main vegetable in today’s grilled garlic mushroom kabab recipe is mushrooms. I prefer the baby portabella mushroom for this dish, but you can use the standard white mushroom, even though the flavor is not quite the same. The neat thing about grilling vegetables is that they take on a new flavor profile. It’s like it caramelizes the various flavors, and the outcome is usually spectacular. Sweet onion is another vegetable that grills so beautifully. It brings out such a unique sweetness in the onion, and it pairs so well with the mushrooms. For a pop of color, we like to add some cherry tomatoes. They are great because they are bitesize already. Finally, we add some sweet peppers. They come in four different colors and are a wonderful addition to the kebabs.
Soak the Skewers:
Make sure to remember to soak the skewers in water for at least 20-30 minutes before grilling; this will help keep them from burning. You can get creative in arranging each skewer or get the whole family involved in making their own. You may be surprised at how much better it tastes when you have put it together yourself. My sister, for example, would make one with just mushrooms and enjoy it immensely.
Baste the kebabs with the leftover marinade every 5 minutes while grilling to ensure the best flavor.
This coming Sunday is Father’s Day, and what a great way to celebrate. My dad loves these garlic mushrooms kebabs, and he gets excited about grilling. I often serve these grilled Garlic Mushroom Kebabs with my Refreshing Watermelon cooler.
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there. Thank you for all that you do for your families.Print
Grilled Garlic Mushroom Kebabs
- Yield: 6–8 Kebabs 1x
- 1 pint baby portobello mushrooms (2 pints if you really like mushrooms)
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 small yellow pepper
- 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Braggs Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 1–2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Presoak skewers in water for 20-30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add all the ingredients for the marinade except oil. Stir to combine. Slowly add oil while whisking. Set aside.
- Wash and cut the vegetables.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Roast only the caps. Cut onion and peppers into 2 inch squares
- Arrange them on the presoaked skewers.
- Place on a baking tray. Baste with a generous amount of the marinade. Flip and do the same on the other side.
- Preheat grill to 350-400F
- Place skewers on grill. Roast for about 10-15 minutes, turning half way through. Baste the kebabs with the remaining marinade every 5 minutes while grilling.