It’s Christmas time again, my favorite time of the year. I love the cookie traditions that come along with Christmas. I don’t know if you have ever been to a cookie swap, but it is a lot of fun. Everyone brings a couple dozen of their favorite cookies and then swap with others to add to their collection. That way, they go home with a variety of cookies and do not need to make as many varieties. However, during the pandemic, a cookie swap may not be the best activity, so I thought of a fun way to make a simple cookie recipe more festive and fun—introducing my plant-based Christmas Cookie Wreath. It is quick and easy to make and looks so festive.
I happen to love sugar cookies. So this plant-based version is an absolute winner. It has a touch of almond and lemon, a unique and excellent taste to this cookie wreath.
We have added a vegan cream cheese frosting to this cookie wreath. The easiest way is to buy a store-bought vegan cream cheese for the frosting, and with just a couple of other ingredients, you transform the cream cheese into a wonderful frosting. Our favorite vegan Cream Cheese is the Violife. It has a great consistency, is super white, and has a beautiful taste when mixed with powdered sugar and lemon extract.
First, roll the cookie dough into a 1/4-inch thick circle. Chill in the fridge.
Next, cut out the wreath. We settled on a 7-inch cookie wreath with a 3-inch hole in the middle. Use a 7-inch cake pan to mark the outer edge of the cookie wreath, and with the cake pan turned upside down on the rolled-out cookie dough, cut around the outer edge. Use the same method for the inner circle, using a 3-inch circle as a guide. Next, carefully remove the excess dough, which can be baked into smaller cookies if desired.
Christmas Cookie Wreath | plant-based, vegan
- Yield: 1 Cookie Wreath 1x
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine (Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup all-natural cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese (Violife Original Cream Cheese)
- 1 tablespoon apple sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Using a hand mixer, in a medium-size bowl, cream the vegan margarine and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the vegan cream cheese and mix again until well combined.
- Next, add the apple sauce, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the vegan margarine mixture, a little at a time, mixing as you go.
- Form into a dough.
- On a silicone mat or parchment paper, roll out the dough, about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Place the rolled out dough on a baking tray. Cover with parchment paper. Let chill in the fridge for about one hour.
- Cut around a 7-inch diameter (cake pan) to make the outer edge, remove excess dough. Next, place a 3-inch cookie cutter in the middle to cut out the middle section. Remove the inner dough circle.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the cookie wreath begins to brown on the edges.
- Let cool completely.
- 1 container (7.05 oz) Vegan Cream Cheese (Violife)
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
Add the cream cheese and lemon extract to a medium-size bowl, and whip with a hand mixer until smooth.
Next, add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until the frosting is the desired consistency.
Chill in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
Assembling the Cookie Wreath:
- Make sure the cookie wreath is completely cool.
- Carefully add a layer of frosting to the top of the cookie.
- Be creative. (It may look more whimsical if the icing does not go all the way to the edges.)
- Next, decorate with strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.
- Finally, add some green mint leaves to make the cookie wreath pop.
- Optional: Use left over dough to bake some mini stars to add to the decor.