This Vegan Roasted Garlic & Herb Cheesy Spreadable Dip has to be one of my absolute favorite Holiday appetizers. The most challenging part is waiting for the cheese to set in the fridge before being ready to eat the next morning. There is something so special about this creamy, savory, cheesy spread that is hard to explain. We usually wrap this dip in pomegranate seeds for an extra special presentation for the holidays. It’s incredible what this touch of sweetness does to the flavor profile of this appetizer. But regardless of how you choose to present it, it is a wonderful addition to the appetizer table.
When we entertain guests, especially for the Holiday, we like to serve appetizers. Appetizers are very helpful for several reasons:
- Your guests feel welcome and well-taken-care-of.
- Appetizers provides you with a little extra time to finish up the meal in the kitchen.
- It takes care of immediate hunger issues.
- It decreases stress and pressure for the cooks.
- And it gives everyone something to do while they wait for the meal to be served.
What to look for in a great appetizer:
I remember years ago when we used to plan menus for Holiday parties; our principal requirement was that the food tasted amazing. We would often find ourselves so stressed before the meal, hoping we would get everything ready in time. Now, many holidays later, we have become wiser; we now also consider: Can it be made ahead? Is it time-consuming? Will it require oven-time? etc.
So, is this vegan roasted garlic & herb cheesy spreadable dip a great appetizer to serve for a holiday meal?
Absolutely! It can be made ahead of time, requires no oven-time the day-of, and can be served directly from the fridge to the table.
What are some of the special instructions to make this vegan cheese a success?
- It is helpful to have a food processor for this recipe.
- The cashews will need to be presoaked several hours before making the dip. This will ensure a smoother, creamier dip. If you are short of time, you can boil the cashews for 15 minutes or so and then let it soak in the water until cooled.
- This cheesy dip will need to be made a day ahead. This makes it easy to serve as an appetizer for the Holidays, as it can go straight from the fridge to the table.
- Roasting the garlic adds another flavor element to the dish. It also takes away the raw garlic taste.
- I like to add fresh chives, dill, parsley, rosemary to this dip, but you can be creative and add the herbs you especially like. We will add anywhere from 2-4 tablespoons of fresh herbs for this dip. It gives it such a fresh flavor.
- It is helpful to have cheesecloth to form the cheese into a round shape, but it is not necessary. You can put this cheese dip in a small serving bowl and serve it in the bowl.
- My favorite way to serve this dip is to cover it in pomegranate seeds. It looks so festive, but it also adds a touch of sweetness to this absolutely fabulous spread that is quite unique.
- You can also wrap this dip in chopped nuts, fresh minced herbs, or slivered almonds for a different look and taste. Be creative. Get the family involved. They’ll love it.
I am really serious when I say this is a favorite. I could eat this whole “Vegan Roasted Garlic Herb Cheesy Spreadable Dip” all by myself, though I always share it with my guests and family:)
Serve this wonderful dip with crackers or french bread.
Serve with gluten-free crackers for a gluten-free option.
Roast the garlic without oil.
Click Here to Watch Me Make this Recipe on YouTube!Print
Vegan Roasted Garlic & Herb Cheesy Spreadable Dip
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2–4 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (suggestion: chives, dill, rosemary, parsley)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- To roast the garlic, place the garlic cloves in foil, drizzle with a little olive oil, close the foil, and roast in the oven (on a tray) for 25 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews and add them to a food processor. Pulse them into a chunky mixture, then add the lemon juice and coconut milk. Blend until a smooth consistency.
- Add the yeast flakes, salt, and roasted garlic. Process until well combined. Next, add the fresh herbs and pulse a few times to incorporate, being careful not to blend so much that it changes the color.
- Line a bowl with cheesecloth and pour in the cheese mixture. Tie the top with a rubber band or string and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge overnight.
- Serve as is, or decorate with fresh pomegranate seeds, sliced almonds, or fresh herbs. Serve with crackers, toast, or rolls!
How far in advance can you make this?
It lasts well for at least one week! Happy Holidays!
Made this today for our New Year’s party, can’t wait to taste it!
Thank you so much for your comment! Hope you enjoyed the recipe! ?
Hi Chef Ani,
When you use coconut milk, is it from a can or from the refrigerated section in a carton?
Any special brands you like?
Hi Kris! For this recipe I like to use the Thai Kitchen Brand coconut milk in a can. Thank you for your question.?
I make a very similar cheese and sometimes I bake it and it develops a crust that looks like cheese rind; however, I never thought about adding roasted garlic. Great idea!
Great idea! Baking the cheese sounds amazing! Thank you so much for your comment!
Probably the best tasting vegan cheese I’ve ever made. So good with warm fresh bread. Thank you Chef Ani!
Thank you so much, Joe! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the vegan cheese recipe. I really appreciate your kind comment and 5-star review. It really helps me out! Happy Holidays.
I made this for Thanksgiving 2020 and made it for my partner who loves cheese. He said it was super delicious. The dill and lemon give the dip a tangy taste which I loved. I served this with slices of bread and no extra toppings (pomegranates etc). This is a great recipe!
Thank you so much, Angie! I am so happy to hear you and your partner enjoyed the cheese recipe. That really made my day. Thank you also for the 5-star review. It really helps me out. Hope you have a wonderful Holiday Season.
This turned out very tasty! I made it in my vitamix, so the pulverized herbs turned it a lovely light green color. I think this would be great, even straight out the blender as a soft dip. This dip is for sure being added to my *make again”collection!
Thank you so much, Allie! I am so glad you liked the recipe! Thank you for the 5-star review!
This recipe is absolutely delicious. I made it for Thanksgiving 2021, and am going to continue making it for every Thanksgiving . Guests that were not vegan loved it too. Since I like it so much and cannot wait until next Thanksgiving I am going to make it again today! Thank you Chef Ani!
I am so happy to hear you like the cheese recipe. It is one of my favorites. Thank you for your kind comment and for the 5-star review. You made me smile!