For many people, cabbage salad or coleslaw may not be the most exciting item on the summer menu, but there are many reasons why it should be. It is such a simple and easy recipe, made in just a few minutes, packed full of vitamins and nutrients, low in calories, with a whole host of other health benefits. This salad stores well in the fridge, easy to take “with” for a quick meal, and super easy to customize to fit the most demanding tastebuds. So, if you are one of those tempted to think today’s recipe is not the most exciting, I hope you will reconsider because this Fresh Middle Eastern Flavored Coleslaw is sure to be a summer favorite. At least it is in my house.
So, what makes cabbage so unique?
It is believed that regular consumption of raw vegetables such as cabbage protects the body against diseases. Cabbage is very low in calories, high in fiber and vitamins (especially vitamin C and K), contains phytochemicals and antioxidants. In addition, when shredded, it is an easy vegetable to eat raw. It quickly takes on different flavors that make this natural vegetable enjoyable to eat.
Let’s Talk Coleslaw Ingredients:
The main ingredient in this dish is cabbage. I like the traditional white cabbage found in abundance in local grocery stores, and if you can find it organically grown, it’s even better. You can use other types of cabbage, such as Chinese cabbage, savoy cabbage, or red cabbage, but I have to say that I like the white cabbage the best for this recipe.
We use fresh dill, parsley, and garlic for flavor. You may be adventurous and add other fresh herbs too, but be sure to add enough to make the flavors pop. Fresh Herbs also have health benefits that are worth adding to our diet.
Green onions add another dimension to this salad, not to mention health benefits. I also love the beautiful green color it adds to the dish.
This is a powerful, raw, healthy, delicious salad that will pack nutrients and energy into your diet as few other things can. Be prepared to be amazed.Print
Fresh Coleslaw with Middle Eastern Flavors | RAW, mayo-free, vegan, plant-based
- Yield: Serves 4–6 1x
- 1/2 large cabbage, shredded (or 1 small cabbage)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (juice from 1 large lemon)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Za’atar seasoning
- 1/2–1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2–1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup cold-pressed olive oil
- Wash and prepare the cabbage. Remove outer leaves if they look damaged.
- Next, shred the cabbage using a food processor. If you do not have a food processor, chop it as fine as you can by hand or use a box grater.
- In a large bowl add the shredded cabbage, minced fresh dill, parsley, and sliced green onion. Stir to combine.
- Set aside while preparing the dressing.
- In a small bowl, add lemon juice, garlic, Za’atar seasoning, salt, agave, and nutritional yeast. Next, whisk in the olive oil while stirring. Finally, add the dressing to the cabbage and mix.
- Garnish with fresh lemon slices or green onion.