Baked Vegan Parmesan Eggplant Sticks with Marinara
Of all the recipes that I have demonstrated on this channel, this must be one of my favorites. These eggplant sticks are so delicious, they are sure to disappear quickly. In fact, they were very hard to get pictures of as they disappeared before my very eyes. Serve these with a favorite marinara sauce and you have yourself a very special treat.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into sticks
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan (see recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/16 – 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
Note: If you do not have vegan parmesan topping, do not worry, add another 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs to the recipe, increase the salt by another 1/4 teaspoon, and you should have wonderful eggplant sticks even without the parmesan.
Peel eggplant. Cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch layers. Then cut each layer into 1/2 inch strips. (If this does not make sense, see video for further instruction:)
- Place eggplant sticks on a cooling rack over a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, and let sitfor 15-20 min. Pat dry with a paper towel, remove as much liquid and salt as possible.
- Preheat oven to 425F
- In the mean time, in a shallow bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- In another shallow bowl, mix the flour and water to make a batter.
- Dip each eggplant stick in the flour batter, then into the dry mixture, make sure that all thesides are coated.
- Place on greased baking sheet or on a silicon baking mat.
- Bake at 425F for 10 min. Turn each stick, if desired, and bake an additional 10 min.
- Serve warm with a marinara sauce for dipping.
Vegan Parmesan Topping
- 1 cup cashews (or blanched almonds)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder